Coordinator Vegetation Maintenance - Prince George
Fort St John, BC
Coordinator Vegetation Maintenance - Prince GeorgeJob Number:
Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
We’re BC Hydro and we have a big job to do.
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of B.C.’s Top
Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for four years in a row.
It's our vision to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do. Duties:
· Performs a variety of technical, planning and administrative functions related to integrated vegetation management by collecting and analyzing data, drafting and implementing work plans and prescriptions, developing annual and long term management plans and site specific prescriptions based on inventories, species, species diversification, growth rates and environmental sensitivities; provides technical guidance and administers a variety of special vegetation management programs; investigates tree related incidents and analyzes tree failure; assists in the evaluation of vegetation risk in relation to circuit priority, public safety, etc. and establishes action thresholds.
· Performs a variety of complex contract administration functions by estimating costs, preparing comprehensive specifications and tender documents, evaluating tenders, preparing purchase requisitions, conducting pre-job meetings, approving progress payments; ensures the optimum use of contractor crews and equipment; assesses and evaluates contractor performance for future reference.
· Directs, monitors and inspects contractor crews to ensure that work is in compliance with specifications, proper arboriculture standards and current best practices; ensures contracts meet all safety and environmental compliance needs.
· Responds to a variety of customer inquiries and complaints to vegetation management activities; liaises with a variety of First Nations, internal/external groups and agencies related to vegetation management work and issues; participates in community and outreach programs to ensure BC Hydro information is distributed within the community; negotiates tree removal and related issues with the public; resolves claims related to vegetation management work.
· Performs related activities such as surveying, tendering and contract administration of road access installations and improvements and other non-vegetation activities.
· Provides technical assistance on and assesses and administers a variety of special projects and programs associated with the maintenance of transmission and distribution line R/W's and corridors.
· Establishes and maintains a variety of records such as work inventories, specifications, historical records, etc.
· Assists the Manager in the preparation of operating budgets by preparing annual work plan, assessing costs of planned projects and programs and analyzing monthly variance statements; prepares maintenance activity summary reports.
· Utilizes a variety of computer programs to develop, implement and monitor integrated vegetation management programs.
· Provides technical advice and guidance to management related to resolving vegetation and operational and maintenance related problems; directs and coordinates activities of vegetation process resources during major weather events.
· May provide technical advice, guidance and direction to contractors' crews engaged in non-vegetation related activities; may operate a variety of small vegetation control equipment.
· Performs duties of a minor nature related to the above duties which do not affect the rating of the job.
· Successful completion a Diploma in Forestry, Horticulture or Environmental studies from an institute of technology or equivalent. Must be eligible for registration with the International Society of Arboriculture as a Certified Arborist and as a Certified Utility Specialist. Completion of a variety of internal BC Hydro courses related to contract administration and environmental issues. Training on BC Hydro computer applications including MS Office, MS Word, Excel, Access, TSO, FSO, BMS, CICS.
· Minimum of 2 years’ experience working in utility vegetation management is a requirement. Additional Information: This position is affiliated with the Movement of United Professionals union (MoveUP/COPE). http://moveuptogether.ca
· A condition of employment in this role is that you maintain your Class 5 Driver's License in good standing.
· Experience with spatial data collection systems such as VEGNET would be preferred.
· In reference to the BC Hydro courses we would also be able to consider equivalent courses completed at another organization.
· Frequent exposure to field work. Up to 80% of time spent in the field in urban, rural and wilderness areas. Exposed to all weather conditions, works in construction areas and walks over rough terrain in wilderness areas on a regular basis. May use helicopters in inspection work. Some exposure to wild animals and dogs. Drives a 4X4 on back roads.
· Some job duties may include travel around the Northern Interior region.
· May be required to spend up to 50 nights a year away from home.
· Occasional exposure to irate customers.
· Some exposure to hazardous materials.
· As part of the selection process, applicants may be required to take a written test during the interview.
· BC Hydro conducts pre-placement medical checks of applicants entering certain positions to help safeguard BC Hydro’s workplace. As part of the selection process, you may be required to demonstrate successful completion of a pre-placement medical check.
· Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We act with integrity.
We respect our province.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply:
How to Apply
Don't forget to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and copies of your certifications. If applicable, include your Trades Qualification. This will ensure we have all the necessary information to assess your application without any delays.
Click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job.
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html
by January 15th, 2017. Click here
to access the job posting or visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page
to view and apply for jobs.